Mushroom Lentil Stew
You will need:
5 cloves of garlic
1 cup french lentils
2/3 cup red lentils
splash of red wine vinegar
splash of white wine
1 tbsp olive oil
dash of rosemary
dash of salt [I used wild porcini mushroom salt]
dash of sage
dash of pepper
1 container white button mushrooms
1/2 cup dried mushrooms
3 1/2 cups of water
1. Soak dried mushrooms for at least a half-hour.
2. Chop up garlic and shallots, then sautee in a pot with olive oil and a splash of white wine.
3. Add quartered white button mushrooms. Drain dried mushrooms, which should now be plump [I used a mixture I get at Honest Weight in Albany] and add all mushrooms to pot, cooking for a few minutes.
4. Add in spices - sage, rosemary, salt and pepper.
5. Add in lentils, stirring to coat, and then add in enough water to cover the mixture.
6. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally and adding in more water as needed as well as splashes of red wine vinegar and wine.
7. Serve warm with fresh crusty bread [I got a loaf at the impeccable Roberta’s], topping with either vegan cheese or olive oil.
Makes enough for 4 people.